Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Keep on the sunny side

Gawker's got a roundup of the refreshing honesty exhibited in some quarters upon the news that Jesse Helms is dead. I share in the cheering -- damn right I speak ill of the dead in this case, and such thanks to Jack White at TheRoot.com for getting the jaunty "I'll Be Glad When You're Dead, You Rascal You" stuck in my head -- and urge comfort upon those who are disgusted that Helms may be conferred some special patriot status by (maybe) dying on July 4: Think of it as a sign that his ilk don't last forever, and that the nation is stronger than hate, bigotry, and the past eight years of douchey "leadership." It's like the rainbow over Noah's Ark, even... and though I may not believe in that myth, I definitely believe that turning Jesse Helms' death into a symbol of tolerance and pride makes me happy and would piss the old hater off no end. FTW!

3 comments:

MC said...

While I hated everything the man stood for, his methods, his life and his character, after seeing the Fox *ahem* News hatchet job on Kurt Vonnegut in their obit, I've sort of lost my zeal for immediate posthumous character vivisection.

So once again, Fox ruins a good thing for a bunch of people.

AG said...

Point taken, and yet I will also happily tramp the dirt down on Rupert Murdoch when that happy day arrives. Fox was vile, but the worst thing about the Helms situation in my eyes was that we weren't vivisecting the scoundrel's character when it could have done some good. Just think what we're apt to read when Cheney returns to his throne in the pit infernal...

MC said...

Oh, I am not casting stones here... I mean, you know that I have a little bit of a biting sense of humor, and well my distaste for Ronald Reagan was legendary (as was my high school oral report on the man... I realized early that passion is passion when you are writing/discussing a subject), so I could never truthfully answer that I had never spoken ill of the recently deceased.